Dance Class Attire
CYT Dance Studio strives to create a safe and professional environment for dancers to work and learn.
In order to do this, the following guidelines have been established:
No Crop Tops or Short Spandex Dance Shorts - please remember our modesty policy. Students should always wear a cover up when entering and leaving the dance studio (pants over tights / shirts or jackets over leotards).
- Students should wear dance clothes during class. It is difficult for instructors to see lines in baggy street clothes.
- Girls should have hair pulled back away from face and secured.
- Girls should put hair in a bun for all ballet classes.
- Various shoes are required for proper instruction in some classes.
- All dance shoes, bags, and property of the dancer should be labeled with the dancer’s name.
- No jewelry should be worn during class.
- No gum, food or drinks are allowed during class time. Water bottles are an exception.
JAZZ, MODERN, LYRICAL, & CONTEMPORARY CLASSES:
- Pre-K / KinderCombo – pink or black leotard, pink tights, hair in a bun, pink ballet slippers (Tap Shoes for Kinder Combo - Mary Janes).
- Ballet I, II, III & IV – black leotard, pink tights, hair in a bun, pink ballet slippers (optional - black ballet skirt-no dance shorts)
- Pre-Pointe / Pointe - black leotard, pink tights, hair in a bun, pink ballet slippers and/or pointe shoes (optional - black ballet skirt or dance pants)
- pointe placement required-do not buy pointe shoes until conference with dance teacher
- Male Ballet - white t-shirt, black pants, black ballet shoes, dance belt (for males 13 and older)
- Jazz - solid color leotard, black or tan tights, black jazz pant may be worn, black jazz shoes -- no jazz sneakers or tight dance shorts.
- Male Jazz – solid color t-shirt, dance pants/shorts, black jazz shoes
- Contemporary – solid color leotard, black or tan tights, black dance pant or short may be worn, barefoot or jazz shoe
- Male Contemporary - solid color t-shirt, dance pants / shorts, barefoot or jazz shoe, dance belt (for males 13 and older)
FUNDAMENTALS OF DANCE:
- All levels: Attire is dance capris or jazz pants. No baggy pants, jeans, or shorts please. Dancers should wear black leather, full-sole Jazz Tap Oxfords. Males wear same. (Tap 1 or Tap 2 may wear mary janes)
- Male dancers may wear shorts
HIP HOP CLASSES:
- All levels: Solid color leotard, black jazz pant may be worn, black jazz shoes, tap shoes -- no jazz sneakers or tight dance shorts.
(back to top)
- All levels: Colored leotard or t-shirt, sweat pants / cropped pants / dance pants / shorts (must hit at or below knee), any color tennis shoe. (NOTE: Shoes need to be worn only for hip hop class and not worn outside of the dance studio.)