What happens the first day of camp?
- Campers will be greeted by camp staff and are encouraged to join into high energy group games. Parents will be introduced to our Camp Facilitator and given some important information regarding the week.
- The first day, we take some time to introduce the campers to their leaders and make them feel welcomed and excited to be at camp, as well as explain behavior expectations.
- After that, Half-Day campers will all remain together with their camp directors for the rest of camp--they will learn their songs as well as play games and work on art projects. Half Day campers get picked up at 12:00.
- On the first day, Full-Day campers can participate in an optional audition for roles in the show. THIS AUDITION IS NOT REQUIRED. Students who opt to not audition will still have plenty of performance opportunities as part of the show's ensemble. Following the audition, students will begin to learn all of the singing, dancing, and acting that make up the performance.
- In the morning, we also have a short snack time, where campers will be provided with a snack. Campers then come together at mid-day for lunch, games, & character building activities.
Half-Day campers are welcome to stay for the pizza party and be picked up at 12:30. They will return at 4:30 p.m. to get ready for showcase at 5:00. Full-Day campers will stay for the entire afternoon through showcase. There is no need to RSVP for the pizza party!
What if my child is upset the first day of camp? Can I stay with them?
We find that at times, especially for younger campers, the first day can be a bit overwhelming. There are numerous people playing games with fun loud music playing. However, our staff is equipped to look out for children who may need encouragement to participate. Staff may come over and try to engage your child in opening activities like dances or games or introduce them to other campers. Parents are welcome to stay through opening activities, but once campers break into groups, we've found that mom or dad's presence sometimes makes a more difficult emotional break. Almost always, once campers see their class mates having a blast--they want to join in too! Please be assured that if your child is overly upset for an extended period of time, we will contact you.
How will I know who is in charge?
Our leadership will be wearing a CYT Summer camp staff shirt.
What does my child bring?
Full-Day campers will need to bring a sack lunch, and we recommend bringing a water bottle.
Half-Day campers do not need to bring a lunch--they may bring a water bottle if they like.
What if my child doesn’t know anyone?
Many of our campers are new to CYT. We encourage a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere where kids will meet new friends. We also have awesome, energetic teen assistants who can assist in easing the transition.
What should my child wear?
We encourage comfortable dance and play-friendly clothing each day. Please encourage your kids to wear shoes with a back of some kind (please no flip flops). Tennis shoes are preferred.
How do you handle allergies?
Please let us know of allergies on your enrollment form. We will also have you fill out our Allergy Action Plan
which can be found on our forms page. Our staff will be alerted to the allergy and maintain a high level of awareness. Medication can be left with directions with the Camp Facilitator.
Is there a nurse on staff?
We do not have a nurse on staff. However, our directing teams and Camp Facilitators are first aid/CPR trained and certified.
What is your cancellation/refund policy?
You may receive a full refund of your registration fee (less a $25 processing fee) up to two weeks before the first day of camp. If you decided to withdraw from a camp less than two weeks before the first day of camp, we can offer you a credit towards a future CYT class or camp. No refunds/credits will be extended once the 2nd day of camp has begun. Unfortunately, we cannot offer any credits/refunds/make-ups/pro-
rated fees for missed days of camp. And, we will always be happy to switch you to a different week of camp at no cost if you need to swap weeks!
Can I sign up the first day of camp?
You can walk up and sign up at camp. However, many of our camps fill up so we encourage early registration.
What about supervision?
Your child’s safety is our utmost concern. Each person hired by CYT has completed a background check, interview, and camp staff training. In addition to the adult camp artistic team and the teen assistants, there is also an adult Camp Facilitator for every camp.
Who do I contact in case of emergency during camp?
You will be provided a contact cell number of your area's Camp Facilitator in case of an emergency.
Do you have to be a Christian to come to CYT?
No. CYT holds to Judeo-Christian values of family, community, leadership, and positive encouragement. We welcome all kids of varying faiths, backgrounds, and beliefs.
What if my child has special needs?
CYT openly welcomes all children with special needs, regardless of severity. Further, CYT KC proudly supports our HEART program (H
elping to E
wareness and R
ecognition in T
heatre). Please let us know what we can do to help! Before camp you will want to fill out the HEART application and camp support form. CYT will work with you to assist your child. Please give us as much information as possible so we can make your child's experience successful. To see if your child qualifies for a new family scholarship, please reach out to our HEART coordinator, Josie, at firstname.lastname@example.org